Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Beneath the Sea 2010

Yesterday I went to Beneath the Sea and really enjoyed it. I don't go every year, I go every few years and for some reason this year I got a lot out of it.

I have been looking at getting into underwater videograpy and really enjoyed the large number of vendors of video housings that I could evaluate and compare. I really was impressed with Equinox and feel that I am going to bite the bullet and invest in this housing. I am going to first obtain a new video camcorder that works well in low light and take it from there. Hopefully I'll get setup for this dive season. I am new into this and still want to get more advise from other divers that have already invested in this. My Sealife camera has let me down so I don't want to invest in a video system without being sure it will suit my purposes.

I also really liked the Liquivision trimix computer. I was first drawn to it because of the bright neon yellow display. I need reading glasses and even with lenses in my mask, I have trouble reading my gauges in the dark NJ waters. I saw this computer and thought this is the answer. I later learned in talking to the rep. that you can adjust the font size too. This computer utilized a tap interface which was really nice too. The only problem was the price tag....a little pricey.

I have been wanting to buy Arctic weight Fourth Element dive underwear ever since my friend Helen, raved about how warm she it in this product. I ended up buying a full set yesterday. I will be warm this year!!! I got my drysuit back from Bare last week with new wrist seals and valves. It was leak tested and currently has no leaks. Between being dry and my new underwear...I am confident that those early season cold water dives will be warm.

Here are the links for the products I am referencing if you want to check them out:

Equinox
; Liquivision; Fourth Element

It wasn't very crowded yesterday, I guess its a sign of the economic times. I only saw one old dive friend out of the corner of my eye. I never ran into him the rest of the show so, I didn't even get to exchange a hello. Maybe I'll see him again someday.

The dive season is approaching quickly and I am ready to roll. I have signed up for some awesome deeper dives this year and just pray the weather cooperates. We are working on getting our boat in the water by the end of April so we can get in a few shallow dives before my first deeper dive to the Northern Pacific in early June.

No comments: