Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pinta 11/7/10

I was out to dinner celebrating a friend's birthday when I received the call from Mark Hennessey that the dive was a go today. The forecast was for 4'-7' swell and a 25-30 knot NW wind, I said are you sure?? Captain Nick of the Ol' Salty confirmed that we were heading out so, I headed home to load up my dive gear. I have been invited several times over the summer to go out on the Ol' Salty with my friends Mark Hennessey and Jenn Washko so, I was determined to at least go out once this year with them.

I arrived at the dock at 6:15 am and there was no wind (yeah!!), I loaded the spacious boat and off we went. The cabin was so toasty warm and we had only a few divers today so there was tons of room to spread out. Besides Mark and Jenn, there was Alan, Tim Callahan, and Dave Matthews diving today. The seas were not calm but, it was mostly swell so we stuck it out and went to the Pinta. I have never dove the Pinta and knew it was a good wreck to take photos so I was excited. I always like going to a wreck I've never been on.

The Pinta was a Dutch freighter carrying teak lumber. It was sunk in a collision with a British Freighter on May 8, 1963. Today the wreck sits in 90' of water, is mostly intact although, Dave Matthews was saying that parts are collapsing and its tall masts extend out into the sand. It is known for abundant marine life and lots of fish.

Once Dave tied us in, the pool open bell rang and it was time to go in. I will not kid you, it was rough and Jenn and I were contemplating waiting for Dave to come up to get a report on bottom conditions. Dave took his time on the bottom so we took that as a signal that the conditions were ok, so we suited up. Mark and Jenn went in ahead of me and I lagged a little behind. I was having the usually nervousness of how I was going to get back on the boat in rough seas plus for some reason I was definitely feeling a little seasick. The ladder was a small one so I felt I could conquer it. The last two times I went diving my Diverite regulator was free-flowing so I had Bill switch it out for his new Apex to solve the problem. WRONG!!! I jumped in and that regulator started free-flowing. I struggled to get down below the surface to about 20' so that I could try and stop the free-flow but nothing worked. I hit the purge button, swished it around in the water, turned the knob and switch, but still full force flowing. I went back up and climbed on the boat. It continued to free-flow until we shut the air off. Just those few minutes exhausted me. I thought of switching regulators again and going back in but, I was just too tired and also feeling even more seasick. I was done :( On rough days, I get so beat up and the energy it takes me to climb on the boat is overwhelming (those double steel 100's weigh a ton!). I really wanted to go back in and dive but, I was way too tired. I also have not felt seasick in years, I hope this isn't something new...

Jenn, Mark, and Tim completed their dives and had about 10' of vis and said they were amazed at the tons of black fish on the wreck. There was a stiff current on the bottom and there was also a little surge. All in all they said the dive was good but, no one saw any lobsters. I was now feeling let down and should have pushed through my issues and dove. Oh well, maybe next time. The seas were building and since everyone did a longer first dive, we decided to head in. I have to say that with such a nice heated cabin, and the water so warm (55 degrees on the bottom), it actually was not that bad out there. It was just that swell, if it had been a little bit calmer, it would have been a perfect day to be out diving.

Today I kept my promise to go out on a dive boat with Mark and Jenn, they dove and I went for a roller coaster ride. We had some good conversation on the way home about cave diving and women diving with old school NJ wreck divers. Back at the dock Mark was trying to get me to come out again with them this year, I said, only if it is calm.. Once I was as home I looked at the regulator and the purge button was jammed. I should have fixed it and gone back in...Some days, you are meant to be a bubble watcher! However, as I write this I am feeling a little sick, perhaps that is why I felt so weak and seasick. The last few dives have been awful for me, I am going to try and get out and have at least one more decent dive before hanging it up for the winter so stay tuned!!!

4 comments:

Alan said...

thanks,
for letting me know what went on I think I missed that dive!
alan dynan

ayeroller said...

Hey Kim, you did the right thing. If your feeling is to abort, do so.I have seen people push thru issues and dive with disasterous results. always better to be safe in this sport

Kim Dixon said...

Alan- Haha...I think you slept most of the day, didn't miss much!

Kim Dixon said...

Ayeroller- Thanks for your comment it means a lot!! I think that my long term experience makes it easier to make quick decisions when the diving situation is not ideal. It is always wiser to fix equipment problems on the surface. I will not lie, I was extremely upset and angry at myself that day for not jumping back in but I'm here to tell the story and that is what counts. There is always another day to go diving.