Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Oil Wreck (Ayuruoca) 8/21/11

I knew that since this was my 25th year as a diver it would be a special one but, it has been better than my greatest expectations!!!  Today I was going to dive the Somerstad (Virginia) but the weather forecast was not suitable for such a long trip offshore so the destination was changed to the Ayuruoca (Oil Wreck).  If you follow my blog you already know that I have been trying to dive this wreck for a long time and for various reasons, I really thought of this wreck as my personal "Andrea Doria" of dives.  So when I heard the night before that our destination was changed to the Oil Wreck, instead of worrying all night about it, I just resolved to the fact that something will happen and we won't actually get there like so many other attempts over the years.  I was resolved to either being completely blown out or going to some other wreck closer to shore.

Well, I had good luck on my side this time.  As I drove up to Point Pleasant I noticed there was little or no wind..when I got to the dock,  everything was on for the Oil Wreck.  


This wreck is a 468' Brazilian freighter that collided with a Norwegian vessel General SS Fleicher in the fog on June 6, 1945.  The freighter was carrying trucks, jeeps and other wartime vehicles.  This wreck got its name as the "Oil Wreck" because it has always leaked oil and you can see the sheen of oil on the surface.  The wreck sits today at a depth of 160'-170' and is known for dark and poor visibility.  It is also heavily fished so it is covered in monofilament.  It is known as a 2- 3 knife dive.

We were all aware that the weather was supposed to get worse as the day went on so we were all advised by Capt. Dan that we were only staying for one dive and to be ready to roll as soon as we anchored up.   So far, the entire ride out and up until I splashed the sea conditions remained calm but, you could feel the wind picking up.  I typically dive alone but due to my anxiety about this wreck I was diving with my husband Bill today.  Actually, for some reason a calming came over me and I felt like this was just another wreck. I think the comeraderie and antics that were going on between Brandon, Bedford, and Mark helped to lighten the anxiety...they were quite comical to watch.   I was ready to go in before Bill so I splashed and said "see ya on the bottom".  Prior to my splashing Brandon had come up and said that the surface visibility was awful but it cleared up at about 40'.  I was glad he shared this information because when I splashed the visibility was so bad that I practically hit Joe Rogers hanging on the line.  It was very clear that this algae bloom that is in the news was in full force here.  As soon as I hit about 40' the water cleared but it also became darker and darker.  The algae bloom was preventing the sun from penetrating.  Finally at about 133' I could see the strobe and eventually the wreck.  We were anchored into the lifeboat davit on top of the wheelhouse.  I could see about 25' but it was really, really dark and took quite a while for my eyes to adjust.  Once Bill got on the bottom we headed out in a direction away from the other divers.  We swam along the wheel house and Bill pointed out the porthole backing plates that are still in place and eventually we hit the deck behind the wheel house.  Bill found a lobster here and I managed to get tangled in the ever present monofilament.  I tried to swim out of it but that did not work.  Bill saw my predicament and tried to break the line with his hands and pulling at my legs.. he was not gentle, and I felt like he was trying to rip my leg off...I realized I needed a knife but, as I was reaching for mine, Bill took his out and freed me.  This wasted some time and I felt like I just got down there and it was time to go.  We were on the bottom for about 30 minutes.  As I ascended I realized that the dive wasn't all that bad and I had not reason to be so scared of it.  It is not an easy dive at all but, I did it and I did it safely. The long hang was torturous with the lack of visibility, it really through off my bearings but, there was no swell or current which made it far better than it could have been.

Back up on the boat, Sean found the coolest bottle that looks like a wine decanter or cordial bottle.
Sean and his bottle, Photo by Deep Expeditions
We were going to do a second dive on the Cranford but as we motored in, the seas really picked up so we headed for the inlet instead.

Back at the dock we rescheduled the Somerstad (Virginia) so perhaps I will still be able to dive that wreck too.  I want to thank my husband Bill, Capt. Dan, Sean and Sue for supporting me today.  They all knew that I was anxious about this wreck but, they also believed in me and knew I could do it.  I owe them big time for their support!!

I have to also add that I did this dive with two minor complications,  as you know I have had drysuit issues this year, well as I suited up my next seal split again...it felt tight enough so I dove with it.  I actually bought a brand new Bare XCD2 drysuit but have not had a chance to use it in shallow water and didn't fell like I should use it for the first time on this dive.  So, I made it through most of my dive and it wasn't until I was ascending that my seal gave out and I started to flood.  That was issue #1, the other issue was, I was sick, I had been in bed the day before with swollen glands and I felt a  cold was coming on.  As I type this I have gotten worse and have a bad cough and lost my voice.  I was determined to dive the Oil Wreck and I was not going to let a cold  or a leaky drysuit ruin my opportunity.  I guess today I am paying for it but, I am so happy I accomplished my goal yesterday!!!! 

Joe Rogers, ready to tie-in

Brandon, always cutting edge!

Brandon & Joe heading down to ti-in
 I will never forget my dive to the Oil Wreck and who knows maybe I'll dive it again someday:):)


2 comments:

Capt.Dan said...

Glad you had a great dive.

Capt.Dan

Alan said...

Hi Kim,
I see this wreck sits at 170'were you diving on air? what kind of deco stops did you make? Did you make it to the sand.
alan dynan