Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Almirante (Flour Wreck) & Gloria 10-10-11

Tina & I between dives

We decided to take advantage of the lake Atlantic conditions and head out diving today.  We had an old dive friend, Tina Held, join us today.  After much debate over which wreck to go to we decided on the Almirante (Flour Wreck).  Since it was so calm, it was  a quick ride out and I was told to get suited up for the tie-in.  There has been chatter that the vis down south has not been too good so the plan was to tie us in if it was good otherwise we would move to another wreck.

Doesn't get much flatter than this

As soon as I splashed I yelled up to Tina, it looks really dark.  I went down to see if it would open up on the bottom.  The water column was filled with brown phytoplankton and it just got darker and darker till I hit the wreck.  I sat for  a few minutes to let my eyes adjust and decided, no way lets go to another wreck.  I tried to unsnarl the anchor but needed some slack.  So I went up and told them the vis was horrible and I needed some slack to get the anchor out of the wreck.  Back down into the darkness I went...it actually is spooky down there when its that dark.  They gave me slack for about a minute but not long enough for me to get the anchor and chain out of the hole and off the wreck.  The biggest problem was the vis was so bad that I could not see how to get the anchor out and where to actually drag it to.  Well like I said the slack was for a only a minute and they started pulling the anchor up.. I pulled back on the line trying to signal to them that I need more slack but they were oblivious.  I went up again and this time I was not happy and started yelling at Bill only to find it was Tina that was pulling the anchor up, not Bill...oops!  Back down for a third time...this really is not fun...This time they gave me lots of slack and I was able to get the anchor out drag it across the wreck and into the sand and anti-fowl it.  By now I blew 30 minutes underwater just fighting with the anchor.  Boy was I tired but I got the job done.

2011 was a great year for diving!!!
 We decided to head north to the Gloria wreck.  Upon arrival, the viz looked much better on the surface.  We sent Bill in this time to tie in and told him to send a bottle up if the vis is good.  Tina and I waited and waited and finally up came the bottle.  Tina suited up and went in.  Once Bill was back on the boat I splashed.  Turns out the surface vis was good but, it was only about 5' on the bottom.  We all did our dives anyway and good thing because Tina found a great artifact.  It was piece of a door with a brass keyhole lock on it.  She said she spotted the green in the wreck and grabbed it and it came loose.



Bill opted out of the second dive, so I went in for my dive #3 with Tina.  We were going to head back to where she found her artifact and look for the key to it.  Lots of times people left the keys in those types of locks and maybe we could find it.  We looked and looked but did not find it.  I however, found some sort of large wheel with spokes and could not budge it.  I will need to go back with a scooter and tools to try and break it free.  It was rather large and  it is partially buried.  Hmmm what could it be?  I was again given the duty of pulling the anchor.  I unsnarled the anchor and tried to fill the lift bag to lift up the anchor.  As fast as I filled the lift bag it was emptying and sinking.  AGGHHH!!  Bill gave me a lift bag with a hole in it.  Tina attached her sausage to it and it was enough to get the anchor off the wreck. 

We had a beautiful day out there topped off with a few beers back at the house.  As I am typing this I cannot begin to tell you how sore my shoulders and back are from dragging that anchor around.  What a workout!!

Tina and her door with keyhole lock.
I have been privileged to be dive buddies or underwater diving with lots of divers whom have recovered great artifacts from portholes, bells, china, binacles, binacle balls, running and cage lights, and now a piece of a door.  I do not have a good knack for finding artifacts.  I have found a few in my time but, they are not in abundance.  I do however, always seem to be with others when they find their prized artifact and often I do have my camera either underwater or on the surface to memorialize their finds.  For this, I am grateful.  I was not the one who found these great artifacts but, I was there to share in the whole experience.  Pictures mean a lot to me and they bring great memories of special dives and divers.  This is why I love to dive so much!!!

Looking forward to diving again next weekend...

3 comments:

Tina said...

What a great day on the ocean! Lakelike conditions and clear skies. It does not get any better on the surface than that. The vis on the bottom could have been better but that's the joy of NJ wreck diving. I have never dove that wreck and finding that nice artifat piece was a topper to an already great day. I just love that moment when the history of a lost ship comes to life in my hands. That is how I feel everytime I recover an artifact... and exactly how I felt the other day on bottom of the NJ ocean in the company of the great "Glory". Thanks for another memorable dive Kim & Bill - Tina

Tina said...

What a great day on the ocean! Lakelike and sunny conditions on the surface. What could be better than that? The vis on the bottom could have been better, but that is the wonderful thing about NJ wreck diving... you just never know what the bottom will be like inshore or off. Finding that wonderful artifact was a treat and unexpected. I truely love that spiritual feeling when I first recover and hold a lost artifact. It's as if the histiry of ship comes to life in my hands...which is exactly how I felt the other day while enjoying and exploring the oceans bottom in the presence of old & true "Glory".
Thanks for another memorable diving experience Kim and Bill...
-Tina

Kim Dixon said...

You are welcome!!! I know there will be many more dive adventures for us to share together...