Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Dutch Springs 7-21 & 7-22

I spent a beautiful weekend at Dutch Springs with my daughter Rebecca while she completed her check-out dives.  She is now a certified PADI diver and I am one proud mom!  The visibility in the quarry was only 20' at best, there were times when it would silt out to only about 5' of viz and all you could see was the fins of another diver in front of you.  Rebecca and the other divers handled the low visibility well and now they were able to see first hand what it is like to dive with little or no viz.  I more or less stayed far away from her because I did not want to interfere and wanted her to do this on her own.  My original plan was to video and photograph her dives.  I did get a few pictures and limited video but the conditions were limited. 



While up at the quarry I had several divers asking why I waited until Rebecca was 16 years old to get her certified?  There are several reasons for this but, the main reason was I wanted her to decide on her own to become certified and not just because Mom and Dad dive and would like her to learn.  In the end I think this was the right decision for all of us because it went very smoothly and she is confident in herself. 

We had a great time camping and sitting around the fire at night with all the other divers which was a great way to ease her into the diving world. 

I will be trying to get her out in the ocean over the next few weeks since she already has told me that the quarry was boring and not much to look at.  I promised her that wreck diving is far more exciting and interesting than diving the quarry!  Congratulations Rebecca!!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Psyched to see you have Rebecca diving now and your blog is outstanding!! The Newmans want to dive with the Dixons! Dakota and Alexis have only been in clear water and can't wait check out the Jersey wrecks. We'd like to head out within the next couple weeks as Lex returns to college Labor Day. Eric