Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Flour Wreck (Almirante) 8-9-12

Rebecca on the Flour Wreck

Today was a special day for my family because it was my daughter, Rebecca's first day of diving in the Atlantic Ocean.  This blog has brought about so many positive things in my life and today was no exception.  An old dive friend, Eric Newman, found my dive blog on line and called us up to reconnect.  He too has daughters that are certified to dive but have not gone diving in NJ.  Therefore, we decided to get together and charter the Atlantus to take all of us out and show our children what it is like to dive in NJ.  None of us had any idea that the conditions would turn out to be perfect for this entry into NJ Wreck Diving.  The ocean was as calm as I've seen it all season and we decided to go to the Flour Wreck since the Atlantus had been on the wreck yesterday and they had 30' of visibility.  You basically can never go wrong with the Flour, it is a great entry level dive.  Bill and my daughter splashed first followed by Eric and his daughter, Alexis.  I brought up the rear and when I finally got to the bottom, Bill and Rebecca were no where to be found, I have to admit I was not happy that they took off on me already after all I spent the time going to all of the certification classes and quarry and was really looking forward to this day.  On the other hand I was so happy that she felt confident and was off diving somewhere on the wreck with Bill.  The visibility was at least 30'-40' so I hung around the anchor line and shot some photos and kept an eye out for them.  When they came looking for me I saw that they had been quite busy, Bill already speared 5 flounder.  The flounder absolutely carpeted the wreck.  You really did not even need a spear, you could just guide them into your goody bag.  I was able to put my camera lens right on them and they did not move or swim away.


 There was not many lobsters or other fish, a few sea robins and small sea bass but that was about it.


However, Rebecca did find a lobster on her own during the dive and brought me over to see it.  It was in a pipe and I later went back to photograph it.



 One thing that surprised me was that Rebecca's air consumption was really low, we were on the bottom for almost 30 minutes and she still had over 1000 psi when we got back on the boat.  Not bad for a newcomer that I am sure was nervous.  When the dive was over and we got back on the boat the loads of flounder started to come.  Eric and Alexis had a great dive too and we were all having a great time.



Rebecca did not make a second dive because sea sickness overcame her.  It was so calm I was surprised that she got sick but, it was very hot out there today.  I remember  getting sea sick for years when I first started diving so I felt terrible for her.  I therefore did my second dive alone and got some nice pictures of the flounder and sea robins.  The bottom temp was 60 degrees and the surface was 76 degrees, really nice and comfortable.

After we completed our second dives, there were 34 flounder total and 1 lobster between the divers and fisherman topside.  Rebecca felt better on the way home and wanted to go diving again.  She's a trooper!!

Bill, Matt, Me, Daren, Rebecca, Eric & Alexis


We are planning another day out with the Newman's and next time hopefully his whole family will be able to come diving.   Capt. Brian, Shaner and Bill fileted all the fish and we topped it all off with a few beers at the Back Bay Ale House.  Thanks to Captain Brian & Shaner of the Atlantus and our old friend Eric for making this day happen:))  I will always cherish this day!!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice right up and good pictures. I'am happy

Kim Dixon said...

Thanks!, It looks like your message got cut off a little..It was a really awesome day! Kim

DogLover said...

Thanks Kim for making some great pics including of Eric & Alexis available. Eric's Mom (& of course Alexis' - Grand-ma Lois in St Lucia , W.I.) Love that Turtle & esp the 1st flouder with it eye staring at you! :)

Kim Dixon said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures. We had such a great day and Alexis did so well diving. You should be so proud of her!!

I hope to get out diving again this summer with Eric and Linda and the kids..