Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Moonstone 7-13-13

I have been trying to go out diving on the RV  for quite some time and after several obstacles, I was successful in diving on the RV yesterday.  I really miss diving the wrecks off of southern NJ  which is why I have wanted to get out on the RV to dive those wrecks that I have not dove in a long time.  It was a very, very foggy morning that made for a tricky ride out of Cape May Inlet but once we were far out in the ocean the fog began to lift and out came the sunshine.  At the dock we voted between several wrecks and agreed upon the Moonstone.  As you all know, I have always enjoyed diving the Moonstone and it has been 3 years since I've dove it last (see my trip report from 8-2-10 for a brief history of the Moonstone).  On board today was  a nice group of guys that I have never met before with the exception of  Bart.  They were very welcoming and laid back which set the scene for a relaxing day at sea.

On my first dive I splashed to clear blue water with visibility on the bottom of about 25-30'.  We were anchored mid wreck not too far behind the gun turret.  The hurricane last fall had an effect on this wreck because, the bow is no longer located in the same area as it had been.  It appears that the bow was turned or mangled upside down.  This wreck is a perfect example of a wreck that has deteriorated a lot since I first dove it in the 1990's.  The wreck is breaking down and sinking into the sand.  There was only a few small lobsters and a couple of ling and flounder.  This wreck still does not have much in terms of marine life and thus there are not many fish.  The dive was cold, 49 degrees on the bottom and 52 degrees on my hang.  Where is that warm water???

During the surface we ate hot roast beef sandwiches with lots of horseradish and we tried to figure out what exactly happened to the bow of the wreck.  Since the conditions were good we decided to stay and  do a second dive on the Moonstone.

During my second dive I spent time looking around the mid-ship and stern.  There certainly is a lot of sand that moved into this wreck. 

We had a real nice ride home with a following sea.  Today was a great day and I hope to dive off of the RV  again someday.  Great boat with a nice and friendly group of guys!

Heading in from the Moonstone on the Down Deep (1990)
 I am off diving again on Tuesday, heading offshore to the Oregon..I actually never dove this wreck so I am pretty excited!!

Me on the Moonstone (1990)

No comments: