Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

The R.P. Resor 8-10-13

Even though it has only been a few weeks, it seemed like much longer since I went diving in NJ.  Today we were destined for the R.P. Resor, one of those wrecks that has something for everyone and you never get bored diving.  I have dove this wreck lots of times over the years and each time I return, I am not let down by what it has to offer.  As we set the hook I noticed the deep blue water I left last week in North Carolina has arrived here in NJ for the summer and I knew that meant great visibility.  The surface vis was at least 60' and the bottom was about 40' or greater.  Today was a day filled with tons of scallops, lobster, and a plethora of fish.  On my first dive, I explored the extreme stern of the wreck and took photos while other divers spent their time hunting the abundance of monkfish on the wreck.  There were lots of "projects" underway by other divers that yielded one nice porthole and other artifacts that needed some more work on future dives.  It is amazing to see a wreck dove so often still yields portholes, cage lights and other engine machinery.  The stern is still so impressive with its 30' of relief with lots of areas that allow for penetration into the wreck.  I had a great dive and knew today I would definitely be making two dives.


On the surface the seafood came up, quite a few lobster including some real nice larger ones, fluke, ling cod and the monkfish.  One thing about monkfish is they are great to eat but, there is always a battle story that comes with every one taken.  Today it was the stabbing of one with a dive knife that just would not die and then having it try to bite divers while decompressing.  Nothing like a huge mouth open and closing close to the legs of innocent divers trying to hang...

Just before my second dive the gold mine of scallops was discovered by another diver and it got everyone excited.  With scallops being one the the best delicacies on the ocean floor and the price nearing $22 a pound, we all were anxious to get our own personal load of scallops.  I spent this dive looking for scallops and taking more photos.  With so many hunters on the bottom the large tautog were staying away from those with spears, yet they were not afraid to come and hang near me the diver with only a harmless camera.  I had fun trying to get close to these large fish to take their photo.  

   
 


 Once on the surface, bag after bag came up loaded with scallops.  I personally have never seen so many on a dive boat before.  In addition, even more lobster and a smaller monkfish were boated.  Today was truly a great day to be out diving for food.

A few of the many bags of scallops and the porthole tucked away in the rear.

I cannot end this report without saying that  I was deeply saddened to hear about the local dive accident last weekend.  My heart goes out to the family of the diver and also to the crew and other divers on board the dive boat.  You are all in my thoughts and I hope that the bond of  wreck diving helps to ease the pain of your loss.  Be Safe!!

No comments: