Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

The Cranford Ferry 9-21-13

It feels like it has been a month since I went diving even though it has only been 2 weeks.  I spend several days a week up at the beach with my son surfing and all I think about when I am up there is gosh, I wish I was out diving!!

Today we were destined for the Imacculata but, the weather kept us closer to shore and we decided to go to the Cranford Ferry.  It seemed to be a girls day out since there were mostly girls out diving on this charter.  It had been a long time since I went diving so close to shore that it took no time at all to be at the wreck, I believe we were anchored with the pool open by 7:30 am.  I splashed and was greeted with murky green water that stayed pretty much the same all the way to the bottom.. The visibility was about 10' and at times 15', it was not real dark so it wasn't too bad for an inshore wreck.  I did bring my camera and spent time running my wreck reel from piece to piece looking for clearer water and subject matter.  Since this wreck is an artificial reef and it was an old ferry boat, there was not much to really look at plus the wreck was pretty covered by mussels.  I saw a lobster and a summer flounder and some small sea bass.
Look at all that particulate matter in the water column!
 The bottom temp was a balmy 61 degrees which resulted in me staying down for one long dive.  I still turned on my heated vest midway through the dive to take the chill away and without it I would have gone up sooner.  I took a few macro shots of the mussels and in the end loaded up a bag full of them for dinner!!
 




No comments: