Pages

Monday, August 7, 2017

Ayuruoca (Oil Wreck) 8-6-17

One of the things I like about Capt. Dan and the Independence II is that they are adaptable when weather interfere's with a planned dive.  We were supposed to head offshore today to a new wreck however, the wind was predicted to blow all night long, which it did.  Therefore, Capt. Dan proposed a late departure (9 am) and we altered our destination to the Oil Wreck since is closer to shore.  This plan worked out perfectly, well almost perfectly...I over slept and got to the boat right at 9 am and the crew was so gracious to quickly help me load the boat so that I could dive today.  I am very thankful to all of the crew, Capt. Dan, and Gotham Divers for waiting for me.  I appreciated it more than they know!!!

The Ayuruoca was a freighter that was sunk on June 10, 1945 when a Norwegian vessel ran into her during fog cutting the freighter in half.  It is a very large wreck with so much to explore.  Since it is in the mud hole, the days that you can see the wreck are few and far between.


Once we broke the inlet it was still some 3' swells but, it was laying down as we headed out.  At the Oil wreck, we had similar conditions as the day before with a deep pea soup layer and better viz on the bottom.  We had about 20'-25' viz which is the best I've had on this wreck.  It was very cold on the bottom but at least it wasn't a braille dive.  We were tied into the bow near the majestic mast that stands up to about 72'.  I actually didn't even notice the mast on my way down, it was literally right next to the anchor line, I guess I was focused on looking for the strobe on the bottom.  Once my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I followed Adam's line to the bow and just checked the wreck out.  I could see the glow of other divers lights which showed how great the viz was.  I also noticed how there is much less fishing line on the wreck than the last time I was on it which is a plus!!.

There was no current today so those that were digging silted up the wreck and the silt did not move so I made sure I stayed away from those areas.  After checking out the bow, I turned around and headed towards the break area.  I had a real nice dive and on my ascent I finally noticed the mast and thought how in the world did I not notice it on my descent..It amazes me that it is still standing so tall after all this time.

Up on the surface, Jon came up with a bag full of nice glassware and porcellin and Clarissa and Alex now have a nice steering wheel.




 It truly was a great dive and I congratulate John, Clarissa & Alex on their finds!!!  We were all very happy that Capt. Dan made today work out instead of blowing out the dive!!

No comments: