Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Cornelius Hargraves 8-7-21

 


    My last dive was 8-10-19, just about 2 years ago to the day.  I do not think I have ever been out of the water for so long.  I really missed diving and my dive friends a lot through this pandemic and it feels great to be back!!  

    Today we were bound for  the Vizcaya but, upon arrival, two boats were on it and were fishing.  We therefore, opted for the Cornelius Hargraves which is adjacent to the Vizcaya.  The Cornelius Hargrave was a  four mast schooner that was built in 1889.  It met its demise on October 30, 1890 when she collided with the steamer, Vizcaya.  I last dove this wreck on July 3, 2015 and wrote a blog post about it if you want to go back and read it.  


    The Independence II tied into the windless at about 79' and more or less had only one direction to head.  The wreckage is low lying but, was loaded with sea bass.  The bottom was moving everywhere, so full of marine life.  The visibility was about 30' and the bottom temp was  54 degrees..  I spent a little while getting re-accustomed to my dive gear and then started taking photos.  I was taken by how vibrantly blue some of the sea bass were.  




I spy an eye!



I see a lobster hiding..

My dive was relaxing and uneventful which is exactly what I wanted after being out of the water so long.  I can't wait to head out again!  Looking forward to many fall dives!

    




  

2 comments:

jerseydiver said...

Good diving KIm. Glad you got out again, was wondering what happened to your reports!

Kim Dixon said...

I simply have not been out diving due to COVID.