Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

9-21-08 Algol













Today we were scheduled to head out with Diversion Club on the Independence II to the Resor. Due to the weather forecast we all decided to change our destination to the Algol. We delayed leaving the dock until 8am to allow the seas some time to calm down. This was a good decision because as we broke the inlet, there were some large rollers coming in. As the day went on the seas layed down and it ended up being a perfect day to be out diving.

The Algol is an artificial reef and I have never been on it. After hearing a report of 60' and greater visibility from the Gypsy Blood whom was nearby on the Stolt, I opted to take my camera in on the 1st dive. When I splashed I couldn't believe the visibility, it was easily 50'-60'. I could see other divers swimming on the wreck as soon as I hit the water. I spent this dive photographing on 3 different levels of the wreck. There were some huge starfish sprawled on the walls of the wreck that were cool. I even saw a lobster walking down the deck (not legal size of course). There was an abundance of fish and there were quite a few large blackfish on this wreck. I have not seen large blackfish like that in a while. There were some mussels on the upper deck and boy were they good for dinner. During my hang I photographed the jellyfish and illuminesence. I also tried to photograph the divers on the wreck from my hang so everyone would believe what incredible visibility we had.


This was my first dive with the Diversion Club and during the surface interval there were lots of fattening treats like Lisa's butterscotch fudge brownies and Helen's Perogies.

During my second dive I penetrated the wreck on the 2nd level and took some photos inside the wreck. The visibility inside the wreck was fantastic too! The bottom temperature was in the 60's and the surface temp. was 73. Helen speared some fish and others brought up some lobsters. There were 2 or 3 incidences of divers being bit by the bergols. They were everywhere and were pecking at all of us divers. Given the gloomy weather forecast, this turned out to be a great day to be out diving.

Thanks to Helen of the Diversion Club and the other members for inviting us to join them. We had a great time! Also special thanks to Capt. Dan Bartone, Bill, Brandon, and Charlie for making everything onboard the Independence comfortable and relaxing. Kim Dixon

2 comments:

Mike said...

Kim,

Very nice blog. I hope you don't mind, but I added a link to it on my website (NJDive.com). Keep up the diving!

Kim Dixon said...

Hi Mike- I jsut got your message and I don't mind. I really enjoy your site especially since you can look at all of the possible diving options for the week in one place. Kim