Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Long Winter

Well its been a while since I wrote about diving and this has been and continues to be a long snowy winter. I actually like the snow and all the fun that it brings like snow shoeing, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling but, this year I've only had the opportunity to snowshoe and hike. I am trying to getaway at least once to ski but so far time has been an issue. A long weekend in Vermont is calling my name..I'll make it happen somehow!

I have been busy planing for the upcoming dive season. Like I said at the end of 2010, so many opportunities are knocking at my door and they just keep on coming. I was wondering why all of sudden these dive opportunities have arrived? Is it because I love to dive so much that I spread this aurora out to the universe and these opportunities find me, is it because I'm at that stage in my life that I have more time to devote to diving and realize what a gift it is to be able to dive, or is it because I've inspired others to learn to dive and this is my gift in return? I don't know but, it certainly makes it hard to pick and choose.

I am very interested in going on the Cook Island expedition with Liquid Productions LLC, given my marine science back round, my love of diving, and photography, this trip would be a dream come true. I of course feel guilty at the thought of going on such an extravagant trip without the kids so, I have been paralyzed on whether or not I should bite the bullet and just go. All of my friends are telling me to go and I really, really want to go but...I have that guilt especially when college tuition is right around the corner for the kids and it would also damper my chance to upgrade to a rebreather. I need to decide soon so stay tuned..

http://www.liquidproductionsllc.com/index.php/home/1-latest/49-the-ultimate-south-pacific-adventure

I have already booked some dives on the Independence II out of Cape May to the N. Pacific and the S-5 and hopefully this year the weather will be more cooperative. I am also on a few of their dives out of Manasquan Inlet to the Tolten, Maurice Tracey, and Resor. I have two separate invites for diving wrecks out of Hatteras, NC and I was personally looking into chartering a boat myself in June. I need to figure out what to do with NC and finalize it. Last year the weather did not allow me to dive when I was in NC so I am determined to go on at least one trip. Lastly, I am taking Trimix and I am trying to plan a trip to the St. Lawrence River to do the dives. Of course in between all of these trips I will continue to dive NJ wrecks such as the Varanger, Arundo, Cayru, Montgomery, Champion, Offshore Paddlewheeler, India Arrow, and many more wrecks or snags that are seldom visited. I know all to well that there will be those secret epic dives that come about so I am envious to see where they will lead me.

This winter I have been volunteering at the NJ Maritime Museum with my son, Matthew and have really enjoyed my time there. It gives me the chance to learn more about so many wrecks and to find new ones to dive. Plus Matt and I have met so many interesting people there that inspire both of us. This museum is a true reflection of Deb Whitcraft's time and dedication to maritime history and is also a reflection of what a remarkable person she is. I only wish I had more time to volunteer!

http://www.museumofnjmh.com/

I have to admit that it is kind of hard to think of diving when there is snow on the ground but, if I don't plan in advance what I intend to dive it won't happen. What can I say, I lead a very busy and exciting life! In fact, as I write this blog, I should be doing my Financial Management homework for Grad school but, I needed a break from number crunching and my thoughts always lead to diving. I have scanned in some old photos and I'll continue to post old photos over the next few months!


American Conger Eel (Conger oceania)


Planehead Filefish (Stephanlepis hispidus)


Me in my old Parkway Drysuit and Dacor Gauge (this gauge worked up until last year, about 21 years, I got my money's worth!)


Brian C


Pink Hearted Hydroid (Tubulaia spp.)


Northern Stony Coral (Astrangia danae)
This coral can survive in low light conditions and temperatures of the N. Atlantic unlike most other corals. It is a filter feeder similar to sea anemones. This photos is with the polyps extended.


Frilled Anemone (Metridium senile)



The Dive Boat in Guanja Honduras, 1993


Trumpetfish (Aulostomus maculatas)
These cute guys often swim vertically to blend in with the coral.





A really healthy reef in Guanja, Honduras 1993


Sea Urchins (Echinoidea) amongst the Staghorn Coral (Acropora cervicornis)

I thought I'd post some old dive trip reports, check it out in the previous post. Be Safe!



No comments: