Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Old Dive Logs

I thought it would be fun to look at how I described some of my earlier dives in terms of what I saw, diving techniques, what boats etc. Some of the wrecks are now called different names and I'll try to determine what their recent names if I can. It is apparent in looking back that I dove a lot (2-3 times a week) and slowly progressed to more difficult dives, nothing was rushed. Good lesson to learn. I also dove very conservatively. I am thankful now that I have these dive logs even though I felt it was mundane to fill them out back then, hence why some logs do not have much detail. My memory is not what it was and without these logs, the memories of these dives would be gone.

San Saba (Good Times dive boat via Triton Divers) 7/6/87
This was my first NJ wreck dive!!!
Conditions: VERY cold, calm, good dive, Depth 75 feet
23 minutes bottom time, dive 1 and 20 minutes bottom time,
dive 2
"retrieved artifacts!! Buttons and Jelly Jars"
"extremely cold"

Stern of Gulftrade (Goodtimes dive boat via Triton Divers) 5/30/88
Objective: To get lobsters
First dive in my new Fathom Wetsuit
Conditions: Poor Visibility, Depth 88 feet
25 Minutes bottom time
"lots of mussels, good sightseeing & photography wreck"
"new wetsuit was incredibly warm, good investment"

San Diego (Wahoo with Capt. Steve Bielenda out of Long Island) 7/22/89
Depth 110 feet
"Intact turtled wreck, penetrated wreck, good visibility, Great Dive!"
2nd dive: "1st Decompression dive, long 25 minute hang"

Aqua-artificial reef 8/15/89
Depth 80 feet
Bottom time 25 minutes, 10' visibility
"Wreck was intact, 2 ladders opening to the engine room blown out, Good Dive"

Duane, Islamorada, Florida (Lady Cyana Divers) 4/2/90
Depth 95'
Bottom time 22 minutes, Bottom temp. 75 degrees
"New wreck, not much marine life, intact, water temp was wonderful, lots of barracuda"
I went to the Keys to dive wrecks by myself, pretty courageous for a young 24 year old I might say.

Tolten (Robin II) 8/15/90
Depth 95', Bottom time 34 minutes, 30' visibility
"Great visibility, huge wreck, BEST DIVE EVER, definitely go back, lots of small lobsters, tried for 2 but missed them"

Farrel (Sea Lion dive boat with George Hoffman) 9/15/90
Objective: To complete one of my wreck diving objectives for my Wreck Diver class
Conditions: 10' visibility, Depth 50'
"Intact tug, penetrated tug using buddy at the entrance with a light technique. This wreck is the sister tug of the Patrice McAllister"
I believe they now call this the William Farrel.

Cry Baby Clammer (either Horizon or Bob Meimbrese's dive boat) 9/90
Deep Dive Objective
27 Minutes bottom time. Depth 68 feet
"Did a 25 minute free hang at 15'. I saw a brass window but a beam was behind it preventing it from being freed. Lots of Mussels, I dove this wreck the previous year as a second dive to the Jacob Jones."

Sea Girt (Bob Meimbrese's boat out of Brigantine) 9/20/90
70' deep; 45 minute bottom time dive 1 and 30 minute bottom time dive 2
20' visibility
"Intact clammer that sank, Bill tried to get a porthole on dive 1 but failed, he got brass horns and a box. Lots of cables to get hung up on, lots of fish and portholes!" "Got swing plate, light and small bell. Sent up my own lift bag with light and bell" "All together everyone got 7 portholes, 2 swing plates, red lantern, compass and box, cage light, bell; some portholes were small and cute."
 This was a day I will never forget, it was shared with Bob Meimbrese, Bill Dixon, Tina Held, and Dave Keller. In another post, I will someday tell the 20 year twist of fate story about this dive, all I can say is diving really connects people together for life.



Varanger (28 mile wreck) 7/7/91 (Down Deep dive boat)
145' deep, Bottom time 21 minutes, bottom temp. 60 degrees, 40-50' visibility
"My first real deep dive and I found no effects of nitrogen narcosis. This wreck is huge with lots of sea anemones and marine life. Wreck stood up so high it looks like a building"
This is a dive I have never forgotten and every time I dive it I think the same thing, what a massive wreck. This is a wreck that has grown to be one of my favorites. I should try and figure out exactly how many times I have dove this wreck over the years, I know it is a lot and its always an adventure.

No comments: