Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hvoslef 8-6-14

The Hvoslef is a Norweigan freighter that was torpedoed and sunk in 1942.  The wreck sits on a sandy bottom in about 140' of water.  We decided to dive this wreck today because it was predicted that swells would be rolling in from the tropical storm offshore.  Given the high relief of the wreck and sandy bottom we figured it was out best bet.  There were some swells but they were very small and as the day wore on the seas flattened right out.

As I splashed on this wreck the current was ripping on the surface and as a result we all jumped in with a tow to the carolina rig.  However, once you were down about 10' the current let up and was barely noticeable.  The surface viz was was similar to yesterday, never ending.  I did take my camera along for this dive so I was hoping for the best on the bottom.  Once we got to the bottom, this viz was not so hot, it was about 20'-25' but it was light.  We were anchored mid-wreck in a debris field with lots of pipes.  As you followed one of the pipes it led to the bow and the boilers and seemed to have lots of artifacts.  I spent my dive shooting some macro of the gargonian corals that you typically don't see in this area.


The viz seemed to get worse the longer we were down which made it hard to navigate.  I never checked the bottom temp but it was very cold, however, from about 50' up to the surface it was a balmy 75 degrees.I would like to visit this wreck again and hope to gain better conditions.  Sean found a dead light window which should polish up real nice!!


Again, there were lots of lobsters boated and some nice flounder.  I felt great after the dive, I have concluded that I need to do real conservative dives and hang extra long...it is what it is and at least I am still able to dive:)))  On the way in we saw a whale and a nice turtle, the ocean is full of life!

Ben Roberts hanging
We finished up the week of diving in Cape May at Lucky Bones for dinner, its seems we all ate a lot this week..  I am truly regretful that I did not dive the St. Augustine, the conditions were epic!!. Everyone raved about the visibility that lasted forever, the warm bottom temp in the 50's, and the wreck being covered in leopard dogfish along with the visiting Mahi Mahi.   I need to take baby steps and I will get there someday...I am now officially exhausted, it is not easy to dive deep multiple days.  I am looking forward to a few days in Chincoteague, VA with my friends to catch up on some much needed rest and sleep..then it will be time to go diving again..looking at the N. Lilian or Resor in the coming weeks.


No comments: