Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Terror Wreck 8-5-14

I have been trying to dive this wreck for a long, long time.  My last attempt was in 2007 and when that did not pan out I was very disappointed.  I always knew I would be given the opportunity to dive it again but, I never imagined it would not be for 7 years.  Today, I was finally going to have this opportunity aboard the Independence II.

The Terror Wreck is an unidentified Swedish freighter that sits in 160' of water.  There have been many artifacts recovered from the wreck but, still its true identity is a mystery. Some believe it could be the Solvang.



As we left Cape May Inlet, the seas were flat calm and the sun was shining.  I was excited, yet nervous since this was only my second time out diving this season.  Today I was diving with Captain Dan and Dan Martinez and we were all going to swim around the wreck and stick together.  Since I was on open circuit I knew I would be heading up long before my buddies so I made sure I knew where the anchor was at all times.  The surface viz was awesome and the viz on the bottom was about 30'-40'.  It was clear and bright yet lots of particulate matter and luminesence in the water column.  We were anchored into the extreme stern of the wreck right next to the props that were easily identifiable.  There was a high piece of the stern that rose up about 20' from the bottom which is easy to penetrate.    If you swam along the prop shaft it would take you to the larger and higher mid section of the wreck that was impressive.  We all spent the dive just exploring the wreck.  There were some massive fish speared and a good amount of lobsters taken.  My main goal of this dive was to relax and take in the wreck and to be safe.  My goal was accomplished and I was so happy.

It was such a treat to be able to dive this wreck with such great visibility and lack of current.  This wreck is known to be dark and low viz but today was the exception. It was worth waiting 7 years or longer to dive it!!! Perhaps the opportunity will come again and I will be able to visit the Terror Wreck again.

No comments: